Wednesday 14 April 2010

On Philip K Dick

I do apologise for sullying this book blog with electioneering. Old habits die hard, & all that...

Anyway, every time I look at my bookshelves they seem to be multiplying, it's very odd, (and a bit worrying.) Can't seem to stay on top of it at all.

Philip K Dick called it kipple - "a combination of entropy and capitalism... " "Kipple is useless objects, like junk mail or match folders after you use the last match or gum wrappers or yesterday's homeopape. When nobody's around, kipple reproduces itself. For instance, if you to go bed leaving any kipple around your apartment, when you wake up there is twice as much of it. It always gets more and more. No one can win against kipple, except temporarily and maybe in one spot."

What should I give away next, in the battle against kipple?
Vote for the next book to get the chop! It'll be just like a reality TV show, but more literary.

Dirty Weekend, Helen Zahavi
Tarantula, Bob Dylan
Girls on Film, Julie Burchill

2 comments:

  1. Dirty Weekend! I remember the hoo-ha. I'd have to re-read it before sending out though, to see how it has aged. I make my own kipple. Nearly typed kibble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I don't think I've read it since it came out. Thank you for voting!

    ReplyDelete