Saturday 12 February 2011

Frankenstein revisited

I realised I am rubbish at reviewing, especially things that I like. Also I have the poor vocabulary of a primary school teacher (fantastic! amazing! excellent!) but it was FANTASTIC, AMAZING, EXCELLENT, also BREATH-TAKING AND MIND-BLOWING! Go and see it.

Johny Lee Miller was the monster and Benedick Cumberbatch was Frankenstein, both perfect, but apparently they swap parts. I would love to go back and see them in the other role and see how they do it differently. We all sat there riveted for 2 hours without a break, I was almost scared to move in case I missed a line or a nuance.

There was also a big fuck-off bell hanging down in the middle of the auditorium (part of the play) people kept on going up to it before the play started and giving it a cheeky pull then sneaking away looking guilty and delighted with themselves.

5 comments:

  1. not one mention of Brendan Cummerbund's willy! (i can never remember his real name). or was it JLM's you saw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! There was willy! Sorry, I buried the lead! It belonged to JLM. Fine figure of a man, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teehee! That was a good review. I am an utter ponce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree with most of those points. But then, it is adapted from a complex 19th century novel and the adaptation is just never going to be as good as the book. Theatre & film always compress and simplify, and the thing they got right was the central relationship between the two of them. And they are both really, really good actors. So I was happy.

    ReplyDelete