Saturday 13 August 2011

Bedside Bookstack

Before I was so rudely interrupted by the whole country berserking like Vikings, I was writing on the important matter of my bedside bookstack, which is getting out of control.

Here are the other beauties that I must read before I buy any more books:


Hammer Glamour by Marcus Hearn.
This was a very welcome birthday present from our lovely friend Cat from my wishlist. As Sarah pointed out in a comment on the last post, I have a very eclectic mix on there, that is the pleasure of wishlists, you can add random things that you might not buy for yourself (like this). It's absolutely great getting them as a present though. (Anna from Little Red Boat used to get presents from her blog readers when they liked her posts, that's one early blogging custom we should try and revive, what do you think...?)

Men without Women, by Ernest Hemingway
Bought from a charity shop because it has this irresistible cover. Penguin really knew how to do covers in the 60s.

Elizabeth's London
by Liza Picard.
I love the Elizabethans. Why can't I make myself read non-fiction? Why why why?

Imperial Ambitions
by Noam Chomsky (conversations on post 9/11 world)
Similarly, even reading just one sentence by Chomsky is guaranteed to make you 95% cleverer and more switched on, so why has this been the longest untouched and unread - 2 years and counting?

Proust and the Squid - the Story and Science of the Reading
Brain by Maryanne Wolf
"The act of reading is a miracle. But how does the brain learn to read?
This is an absolutely brilliant book which would actually be useful in my working life, but though it is skilfully written and fascinating, I've only managed a chapter.

I think I need to go away to a desert island with no internet and no novels. I might come back a little bit educated.





4 comments:

  1. I'm still trying to finish "The Noughties" by T. Footman which has been by my bedside for, er, decades. The old attention span has been beateb to death by Web 2.0.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can highly recommend T. Footman. In fact you can find my review (and other bloggers') on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the book has reached the bookstack. It's a flick through book when you are too worn out to take information in and you can just lie back and admire the ladies. Most of the undead woman look more alive than the real life glamour models these days. Cat xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite amazing how many famous ladies were in Hammer films. And Stephanie Beacham went to Rada - who knew? x

    ReplyDelete